Thursday 26 December 2013

Christmassy

Christmas time! I've been wearing my fluffy red hat and white beard for about two weeks now, which can only mean its Christmas!
 
I was very happy to receive this advent calendar from one of my friends at roller derby, it was filled with sweet rice milk chocolate squares.
 
 
There has been a lot of festive cheer this year, and I've reserved Christmas for some cooking and baking!
 
First thing I made on Christmas morning was Vegan Eggnog with rum.
My first ever vegan eggnog was over Christmas in 2011 which we spent in China, I don't remember exactly how it tasted, but I love how adjustable the drink can be, as long as its thick and creamy with Christmas spice!
 
I got this simple recipe from my friend and adjusted it, resulting in this;
1 block of firm tofu
1 cup non-dairy milk
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp vanilla essence
1-2 teaspoons nutmeg and cinnamon
1/2 cup of rum or brandy
 
Wizz in a blender and top with a grating of nutmeg.
 
 
***

I couldn't find any vegan mince pies this year, so baked some mince pies using store bought pastry and mince filling, even with those cheats they tasted so much better than shop bought! I made a few raspberry jam ones for my papa who doesn't like mince meat.
 
 
For the main affair, Christmas Dinner with all the trimmings and at least 8 types of vegetables!
 Fluffy roast potatoes, roast parsnips, roasted sprouts, creamy cheesey leaks, cauliflower, carrots, swede, petit pois, with stuffing and Cheatin' Gammon.
 
 
Creamy leaks is a tradition my mum insists on, but everyone loves, the vegetable is sliced and poached in milk until soft then add a little grated Cheezly and nutritional yeast and season.
 
Here is the Gammon, I think I prefered the "Turkey and sausages in bacon" from last year.

 
 
***
 
For a few weeks I've been mulling over making a Gingerbread house, watching Mary Berry has only encouraged this. 
I had a lot of success with Gingerbread men last year using Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, and this year made wheat free trees, bells and stars. I followed the recipe again, but wasn't sure how much dough I would need to make the house. With a lot of grease proof paper, a ruler and some cutters I made templates for the house.
 
 
They warp a little in the baking, but with a bowl butter cream icing, any thing can be fixed. I had to stick the 4 sides together, then pop the whole thing in  the fridge before attempting the roof.
 
Decorating is the best bit, I used glace cherries, round and chunky choc chips, Peach Googy Good Stuff jelly sweets and a candy cane by the door!
I later realised I had some star shaped candies I could have used too.
 
 
Also spread a bit of Christmas cheer by gifting these delicious treats to my friend Claire, she loves veggie marshmallows, but they are either hard to get hold of or expensive. These turned up in our local health food shop, and would be perfect for hot chocolate or rocky road! 
 

1 comment:

  1. Woah, your gingerbread house is so awesome. I tried to make one once but turned it into a haunted gingerbread house after a wall fell down! It looks like you had a great Christmas, I love the Redwood's mock meats, the turkey and the beef are my rave's.

    ReplyDelete