Sunday 11 August 2013

Thai Food and Craft Festival

Basingstoke War Memorial Park on Sunday the 28th July.
 
I found about this Thai food and Craft festival via Facebook, so popped down on the Sunday morning.
As well as hot food stalls, imported Thai foods, they had clothes and kick-boxing and lady boy contests.
 
I have been looking for somewhere online to get Kaffir Lime leaves at a decent price. At the super market you can buy a small spice jar of leaves for just under £2. So when I saw a stall full of imported Thai spices, I knew what to get. The huge bags were only £1 each, so of course bought two bags. I can now lavish my home made Thai Green Curries with loads of tasty limey leaves!
 


 
They were also selling lots of Thai Beer, there was a really nice picnic atmosphere.
 
I was scouting for some lunch, and was a little confused about what Jay food was, apparently no onions or garlic, I assume no eggs as well? 
 
Anyway I found a curry amongst the Pad Thai, meat and fish.
 
Well placed Thai food banner in the background...

 
Here is the Thai vegetable red curry served with a massive amount of rice. I checked no fish sauce or cream (only coconut milk).
 
They also had stands selling Mango Sticky rice, which is fresh sliced mango served with coconut cooked sticky rice. I had no room left to eat that after this huge plate!
 
 
Mr Dada had a Thai Tea, (sadly un-vegan) it is made with condensed milk (very popular in Asia) it is made using brewed tea and served over lots of ice. The tea is a special kind that doesn't get too bitter and its a lovely orange colour when mixed with the milk.
 
The 7/11 shops in Thailand sell huge cups of Ice Tea and Thai Tea.
 
I hope to see more interesting festivals in Basingstoke like this, promoting not only independent restaurants but also different cultures.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment