Tuesday 21 August 2012

Local Ethinic Shops

When I first stepped into an English supermarket after 10 months travelling I was pretty over whelmed by the options prices and all the signs, I began to desperately clutch the shopping list to try to stay focused, I made it out with a lot of Alpro Milks and most things on my list.
Comparatively this week I went around 3 of the ethnic shops in Basingstoke town centre, the first was the Caribbean shop, then the Ghurkha shop (Nepalese) lastly an Indian shop.

So I kind of felt more at home, especially seeing some of the delicious things I loved so much on my travels. (I didn’t go to Caribbean but I love Plantains)
 
Check out the hoard;
Saag (spinach) reminds me of many Nepal Trek Dahl Bahts,
Poppadoms also called Papads.
Curry leaves, as we got most of our other spices in Sri Lanka.
Ginger for some Thai food.
Plantanes, these huge fruits when deep fried, hold up much better than bananas.
Oh and salad onions, these are too addictive!
We also saw a packed mix of Aloo Palak (potato in curry spinach sauce) but we’re going try to make this from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment